During the life cycle of a project, new or unexpected situations arise that require managers to act quickly and efficiently to take the necessary measures to avoid deviation from the objectives. For this reason, monitoring is an essential part of the life cycle of any project, and it is necessary to use appropriate tools that allow for the precise monitoring and control of the entire project life cycle in real time.
Why monitoring a project is important
The life cycle of a project starts from the moment the project is born until its objectives are met and ends. During the different project stages, different important tasks are carried out, in which problems, inconveniences or difficulties may arise. By monitoring these tasks, corrective measures can be taken quickly to ensure that the project continues smoothly and prevent downtime, delays or loss of quality and efficiency. The main benefits of performing real-time monitoring of a project are:
- It allows to have a global and updated vision of the project situation and its different tasks.
- It allows to identify deviations and take corrective measures to solve them.
- It speeds up the decision making process related to the project’s resources.
- Allows to discover hidden patterns or trends.
- It offers the possibility of informing the client of the project’s progress on an ongoing basis.
How to perform a project life cycle monitoring
We have seen the importance of monitoring a project to ensure that it achieves the objectives set in an efficient manner, making constant checks. In order to achieve this, it is necessary to use intuitive, easy and agile tools such as the Redmine project manager, which stands out precisely in the ease of visualizing and monitoring tasks and work groups in a simple way.
- Gantt diagram. This graphic tool allows you to monitor the different tasks and their development over time. This diagram presents an overview of all the tasks that make up the project, showing the date they should be completed and who should perform them.
- Kanban boards. This tool is ideal for monitoring the workflow in projects that use the Agile methodology. The dashboard shows in a visual way the status of the different tasks of the project, allowing to detect problems and weaknesses in the project.
- Project’s activity page and My Page. These pages present the last activities carried out in the project, with information about them.
The follow-up or monitoring of a project and its different stages is fundamental to guarantee its success. With a tool specialized in project management such as Redmine, it is possible to visualize, control and evaluate a project throughout its life cycle, being able to detect problems or incidents and apply corrective measures immediately, thus preventing loss of time or even avoiding that the objectives set in advance are not met.