Both large companies and small corporations are betting on the Agile methodology to face their projects, as it provides speed, flexibility and efficiency.
The Agile methodology emerges in the software development industry as a response to the problem of delay in the delivery of software to its customers. The success of this work philosophy was so great that little by little other sectors began to adopt it to speed up and improve their processes.
Next we will talk about the Agile methodology, about the principles it is based on and which are the main advantages of applying it in a company.
What is Agile Methodology
The Agile methodology is a philosophy that changes the way of thinking and organizing a company. With the customer as the main focus, all processes or jobs must be subdivided into smaller and easier to tackle tasks, which will be delivered in a short period of time.
For this methodology the client is the main focus, encouraging collaboration and direct contact with them. People and their relationships in the work environment are above the processes in order to be as agile and effective as possible.
In the Agile methodology, responses to any change, unforeseen or problem must be quick and effective, forgetting past methods where the established plan was immovable.
To apply this methodology in a company it is very helpful to have a project manager tool like Redmine, which together with the Agile plugin for Redmine, form the perfect combination to face agile and efficient projects in any company.
What are the principles of the Agile methodology
The Agile philosophy is based on 12 fundamental principles:
- The priority is always the customer.
- A necessary change in the requirements of a problem is an advantage, not a disadvantage.
- Deliveries will be made in short periods of time.
- The work of the teams must be coordinated and there must be two-way communication.
- Motivation of people and teams is essential for them to be efficient in their work.
- Events (Scrum meetings) are important to improve communication.
- The final product must be of quality and satisfy the client.
- The processes must be adapted to the time and resources assigned.
- Technical excellence is a priority in all stages of development.
- Every process must be carried out in the simplest way possible.
- The teams must have a good organization and leadership.
- The analysis to look for improvements is a primordial phase.
Advantages of using the Agile methodology
Implementing an Agile methodology in a company is an exciting task because the results that can be achieved are really good. The main advantages of adopting this method are:
- It puts the focus on customers and people (rather than processes and tools).
- It allows for greater autonomy, in exchange for transparency and accountability.
- By dividing the work into small tasks that can be done in less time, risks are reduced.
- It helps in decision making, prioritizing tasks and reducing time.
- Increases the degree of satisfaction of the company’s customers.
- Creates added value by having a better knowledge of the customer.
The Agile methodology is having great success among companies in today’s market where focusing on the customer is the differentiating element.
Streamlining processes, encouraging communication and collective work, prioritizing tasks and reducing delivery times are some of the improvements that this work philosophy offers to companies.